Fort Hood is located approximately 65 miles north of the Capital City of Austin and 49 miles south of Waco. Ft Hood is a three hundred and forty square mile military base. The cantonment area of Fort Hood is close to Killeen. The post extends 26 miles from E-W direction and 24 miles from N-S direction Fort Hood is the largest active duty shielded post in the United States, and is the only post in the United States that is able of assenting two full armored sections. Fort hood is home to the 1st Cavalry Division and the 4th Infantry Division, and various other units and tenant organizations.
Fort Hood was named after John Bell Hood. The place was designated as Fort Hood, a permanent placement, in 1951. Progress remained affirmative in the hood and the Army established a policy of modernizing living and recreation facilities for its soldiers. The development efforts made Fort Hood its single largest continuing military effort. The development project made room for modern brick and stone buildings, The Soldier Development Center, an improved rail loading area, a vehicle maintenance facility at West Fort Hood, more family housing at West Fort Hood and barracks rebuilding.
There are more than 4,950 sets of quarters for enlisted soldiers and their families, and an additional 634 quarters are set aside for officers and their family members. The post also has nearly 100 barracks for enlisted soldiers, 75 guest quarters and more than 340 transient quarters. In its military storehouse, the post features fully equipped stock of modernized war fighting equipment. There are more than 500 tanks, including the most modern - the M1A2 System Enhancement Program Abrams tank - almost 500 Bradley fighting vehicles, about 1,600 other tracked vehicles, almost 11,000 wheeled vehicles and close to 200 fixed and rotary-winged aircraft including the high-tech AH-64D Longbow Apache.